Monday, November 26, 2012

Photojournalism

What kind of education do you need to become a photojournalist?
Pursue bachelor's degree programs in photojournalism. If a school or university doesn't offer a bachelor's degree in photojournalism, students could also major in photography and minor in journalism.
What's one school that has a photojournalism program?
Boston University in Boston MA
What kind of pay might you expect to earn as a photojournalist?
It depends At the low end you it can be as low as a trade. But some photojournalists get as much as 20,000 dollars per shoot!
What would you need to do to prepare for a job interview as a photojournalist?
Dress to impress. People skills are even more important than photography skills when it comes to event photography - you need to bring out the best in who you are photographing. Smile like the joker, be very personable. Your portfolio counts , but if it consists of landscape photos, fine art shots of interesting textures, etc.. it wont be very relevant ..so load it with candids and portraiture.
Would you consider this as a possible profession/job in your future?  Why or why not?
NOPE! I don't want to be a little boy making his living taking silly little pictures! I want to be a man! Grow up to do something that benefits other people! Not sell cheap pictures to people. Being a photojournalist has no real benefit to society.... all you do is take stupid pictures and get money for it, its a job that reminds me of super weird cat ladies or some fragile skinny guy dressed like a hipster drinking some like 17 syllable titled frappucino mocha latte or whatever. Well I guess someones gotta do it... So ill let whoever wants to do photojournalism be one, just step aside so you don't get in the way of more productive jobs..... And god dang it!! Your not a photojournalist if you use instagram to take a picture of your food, I'm tired of seeing that on my Facebook! Just eat your damn dinner!
So the answer is most definitely no. No way Jose! Nada! Never!
                                                                        

18 comments:

  1. wow... could have just said no (;

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the fact that Instagram teenage girls aren't photographers. But for the people who actually benefit from being a photo journalist I respect their decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a lot on your mine about photojournalism. While I do agree it's not the most fantastic profession, I do however believe it has some meaning in the world of journalism. Its useful to communicate with others, and some people do love taking photos all the time. So thank you for giving me your opinion, but maybe next time you word it in a way that is not so racial to the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny beacuse "a skinny hipster dressed man drinking a latte" is how I see a Photojournalist. I agree with what you said about Instragram though, it's really annoying when people have to share irrelevant and worthless things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I very much enjoyed reading your response to the question about pursuing a career in photojournalism. I just want to let you know that I am a strong supporter of your opinion on careers in photojournalism.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think this is amazing. I fully agree that photojournalist have no real benefit to society i didnt even know it was a real job until a couple days ago

    ReplyDelete
  7. i Agree with you in some areas but not all because photography is an art and it has place in our society, but i do understand your oppinion

    ReplyDelete
  8. I somewhat agree with nick because i also believe that a photojournalism benefits society in a way that actually helps maybe it can be entertaining to look at some pictures on the internet or in a magazine. There are more important jobs. But i also believe that it does not hurt society so if someones wants to be a journalism let him be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The fact of people taking stupid pictures on Facebook and Instagram are totally true. I see the ways of photojournalism the same way you do and I think others should think the same way too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to say that there are beter ways to befit mankind then to take pictures of curent events.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Actually you can pursue a dream and maybe be able to take pictures of celebrity's maybe

    ReplyDelete
  12. i would like to say i dont really post food on facebook because that is dumb, but i someimes post food that looks good on instgram because its somtimes worth it .

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would have to agree that taking pictures of skinny men and lattes is getting annoying and when I look at pictures like that, I do not look at the picture and say "Hey that's a good picture!"
    So I would have to agree.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree that posting pictures of food on Facebook is dumb, but maybe being a photojournalist will actually get you somewhere in life.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would disagree because photojournalism is all around me and they catch the good things in life that we miss every day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I disagree because Taking pictures is not stupid, it may not benefit you as you think but it does for me. Silly pictures as you say are memories to me of the precious times I've had that i will not remember if it wasn't for taking pictures. And yes being a photojournalist actually does benefit the society and the economy so i disagree with you.

    ReplyDelete